There are times when a patient’s condition requires part of the bowel to be removed: Stool can no longer be passed through the body in a typical manner. A bypass, called an “ostomy”, must be surgically created. Pouching systems are required to collect the output of stool and special care must be taken of the ostomy and the opening, called a “stoma”: The stoma is the new site where stool will leave the body and be collected in the ostomy pouch.
There are several types of ostomy procedures; the type of ostomy procedure performed will be based on each patient’s specific condition as recommended by your surgeon.
Below is a list of ostomy resources we have compiled for your use:
- Inova Fair Oaks Hospital-Outpatient Scheduling Department (703) 391-3500 Option 4
- Inova Loudoun Hospital-Wound Healing Center (703) 858-6399
Online Ostomy Resources
- American College of Surgeons-Ostomy Home Skills Kit
- Ostomy Support Group of Northern Virginia
- Metro Maryland Ostomy Association
- United Ostomy Associations of America